Cord Blood

Informative facts and unbiased information on cord blood banking.
Breast Cancer Ribbon

Archive for 2010

Review of Cord Blood Banks.

posted by:

Cord Blood Registry

      CBR owns their own laboratory some 80,000 square feet, the largest processing facility in the world, so they say. They use the newest technologies available and all quality control measures are up to or exceeds FDA standards. Cord Blood Registry is certified by the American Association of Blood Banks and the CLIA.

      The Cord Blood Registry has processed and stored more cord blood than any other bank of its kind, due largely to its size. CBR has more experience providing cord blood for use in treatment than any other family bank, again due to its size. To this day they have helped more than 156 families use their cord blood stem cells for lifesaving transplants and other therapies. CBR has not had any errors in the handling during the release of cord blood units to their respective families, meaning all units have been viable.

  • CBR has Experience
  • CBR is well equipped to handle your needs
  • CBR is the only one to off two way to save stem cells (in their market)
  • CBR has many years of storing cord blood for potential clients

      We have to remember Cord Blood Registry is an extremely large company in terms of the product they handle. This reason alone makes them top of their market, think Wal-Mart. But that does not mean they do business the same way, think child labor. These are the facts of the Cord Blood Registry remember to do your own research so you can make an informed decision when it's that time!


Lymphoma and you.

posted by:

 The lymph system is made up of many cells and organs, including the lymph nodes, spleen, thymus gland, and liver. Lymphoma is the proper term for cancer in the lymph system. The Lymph system produces "B-Cells" and "T-Cells," the cells that make up your body’s immune system. Since these cells move between the lymphatic and circulatory system while fighting infections and viruses, lymphomas are blood-related cancers.

There are two types of Lymphomas:

  • Hodgkin's Lymphoma 
  • Non-hodgkin's Lymphomas (NHL)
T-Cell lymphomas make up 20% of lymphomas, NHL would bring up the other 80%.

Signs and Symptoms:
  • swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpit, or groin; usually painless
  • fever and/or night sweats
  • unexplained weight loss
  • fatigue
  • chest pain
  • loss of appetite is less common symptom of some more aggressive lymphomas of the GI tract
These are pretty general symptoms and I wouldn't be alarmed. Looking at that list, maybe I have it? If you think you have Hodgkin's disease you should be looked at by a doctor, there are no identifying flags that point at Lymphoma as symptoms.


Stem cells and cord blood.

posted by:

       The decision to donate a newborn's umbilical-cord blood is, for many expectant mothers, a simple checkmark on a long list of prenatal choices. But for Noel Beninati, one donor's checkmark offered a lifeline. Last May, Beninati received a transplant of stem cells harvested from the blood of an infant's discarded umbilical cord at Boston's Dana Farber Institute, to help him fight a rare blood condition called myelodysplastic syndrome. After doctors couldn't find a matching bone-marrow donor, the 58-year-old New Yorker says his last hope was cord blood, a solution that would not exist without parental donors. New parents, Beninati urges, "must understand the importance this decision can mean for the public good."


What is cord blood banking?

posted by:

      Cord blood banking is the storage of your child's cord blood either in a public or private cord blood storage bank. Cord blood banks have developed since the mid to late 1990s in response to the potential for cord blood transplants in treating diseases of the blood and immune systems. But, cord blood banking isn't routine in hospital or home deliveries - it's a procedure you have to choose and plan for beforehand, so be sure to consider your decision carefully before delivery day.


Expecting a baby?

posted by:

      Many soon to be parents have heard of cord blood banking and want to know what the benefits are and what the drawbacks are and if it is worth while. Your OB/GYNs and or midwife is one resource for information. I'm writing this blog to show an unbiased view of the pros and cons of cord blood banking.

What is cord blood?

      After a baby is born and the umbilical cord is cut, some blood remains in the blood vessels of the placenta and the portion of the umbilical cord that remains attached to it. After the baby is born, he or she will no longer need this extra blood. This blood is the placental blood or umbilical cord blood.

      Cord blood is collected because it contains stem cells, including hematopoietic cells, which can be used to treat hematopoietic and genetic disorders.